ESCANABA, MI-- Quick thinking by an Escanaba woman kept fire from spreading through a residence.
Public Safety officers were called Wednesday around 4:35 p.m. to a house on the 600 block of 8th Street Road. The fire was in an upstairs apartment occupied by an Escanaba couple and their three infant children.
Officers assisted the couple in rescuing the babies. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire in a utility room. Fire and smoke damage was contained to the room with minimal water damage. Police say the quick action of the mother to close the door to the utility room is credited with preventing a potential disaster.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a discarded cigarette that fell into a small garbage can and ignited paper.