War Memorial Hospital

SAULT STE. MARIE, MI (AP)--   Chippewa County’s sheriff has received more than 100 cards and many flower bouquets as he recovers from a car crash. 

Michael Bitnar suffered major injuries when a car crossed the center line on August 10 and hit his vehicle, which rolled several times. Bitnar was off-duty when it happened.

Undersheriff Greg Postma says Bitnar remains in serious but stable condition at War Memorial Hospital in Sault Ste. Marie. Due to the type and severity of his injuries, doctors have indicated his recovery will be lengthy.

CHIPPEWA TOWNSHIP, MI--   Chippewa County’s Sheriff has suffered serious injuries in a two-vehicle crash in Chippewa Township. 

Troopers from the Sault Ste. Marie Post say it happened Saturday around 7:10 p.m. on M-28 near Salt Point Road. An eastbound vehicle driven by Paul Sitz of Ramsey, Minnesota crossed the centerline and tried to turn into a parking lot. It pulled into the path of a westbound vehicle driven by Sheriff Michael Bitnar of Rudyard, who was off-duty at the time.

CHIPPEWA COUNTY, MI--   An Ohio man was seriously injured in a snowmobile accident in Chippewa County on Friday. 

Sheriff’s deputies say it happened around 3:30 p.m. on Trail #8 just east of Salt Point Road.

Investigation revealed the driver lost control of the snowmobile. It left the trail and drove into deep, powder-like snow, then was pulled into some trees.

The driver was taken to War Memorial Hospital by Bay Mills EMS. He was later transferred to a hospital downstate with life-threatening injuries.

SAULT STE. MARIE, MI--   War Memorial Hospital in Sault Ste. Marie is open again, after a bomb threat closed it Thursday.

WLUC-TV says around 1:30 p.m. the hospital received the threat via email. Officials called 911 and City Police responded. Local law enforcement agencies assisted in establishing a perimeter around the hospital, and the Michigan State Police Bomb Squad was called to the scene.

SAULT STE. MARIE, MI--   The suspect in a Sault Ste. Marie hostage situation shot by city police remains in the hospital.  

On December 3 officers were called to a house on Minneapolis Street and found the man on the porch, holding a knife to a woman’s throat.  Police shot the man when he refused to release her.

The victim and suspect were taken to War Memorial Hospital.  The woman was treated and released, while the man continues to recover. 

He is expected to be charged once he’s released.