Vehicle Donation

(Click here to jump to the Vehicle Donation form)

What is the process for donating a vehicle?
WNMU, Public Radio 90 works with a company called CARS (Charitable Auto Resources) which takes care of pick-up and sale of our donated vehicles with proceeds benefiting WNMU-FM.

To donate your vehicle, fill out our online vehicle donation form or call our toll-free WNMU vehicle donation line at 866-WNMU-CAR (866-966-8227) or contact WNMU directly at 800-227-WNMU (9668) and we will have a CARS representative contact you.

Is there a cost to me?
No, WNMU pays the cost to tow your vehicle.

What are the benefits of donating my car to WNMU?
You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Does my car have to be running to donate it?
In most cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be able to load onto a flatbed truck.

Do you only accept cars for donation?
Because of our remote location here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and northeastern Wisconsin, the towing costs for vehicles other than automobiles is too cost prohibitive so WNMU-FM only accepts automobiles.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. In many cases, vehicles can be picked up the same week. Call our representatives at 866-WNMU-CAR (866-966-8227).

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?
No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.

What paperwork do I need?
The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title (pink slip). Have your title with you when you call-in your donation. [Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien]. If you are donating the vehicle for someone else you will need to have an "Appointment of Agent" form completed before we can pick up the vehicle. We have the form we can mail, email, or fax to you.

What if I receive legal notices?
In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV actions or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact us at 866-WNMU-CAR (866-966-8227) immediately for assistance.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
Yes, our tow-truck driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up.   This initial acknowledgment will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating.  It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.   If your vehicle sells for more than $500, an IRS Form 1098-C will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle sale.  This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?
The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.

What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. However, whether your vehicle sells for $10 or $500 you are allowed to claim the full $500 deduction on your federal tax form.

What if my car is valued over $5000?
Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.

Michigan residents may also claim a credit of up to $50 for single filers and $100 for joint filers on their Michigan State tax returns.

Wisconsin residents if you itemize on your federal tax form you are also allowed to claim an Itemized Deduction Credit on your Wisconsin State form under the contributions category.