© 2022 WNMU-FM
background_fid.jpg
Upper Great Lakes News, Music, and Arts & Culture
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Donate Today
Law Enforcement

School Resource Officer headed to Negaunee schools

negaunee_high_school_logo.jpg

NEGAUNEE, MI— The Negaunee Public School District is getting a School Resources Officer.

The district entered into a two-year Intergovernmental Professional Services Agreement with the city, which will provide a full-time certified police officer. The officer will be in the schools during the school year and will be on patrol when the district is on breaks. The officer will provide safety and counseling services to students, teachers, administrators, and parents within the school system and after-hours programs. They will also assist in the preparation of, and training for, emergency preparedness plans and/or other circumstances that arise.

The school district will be responsible for 60 percent of all costs associated with the officer and is seeking state and federal grants. The city will cover the remaining 40 percent.

The School Resources Officer is slated to begin at the start of the 2022-23 school year.